Re: TC and dormancy

From: Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 06:13:16 PST

Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 22:13:16 +0800
From: Peter Cole <carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: TC and dormancy

Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca> writes:

>Hi all,
>
> Not sure why I thought of this, and not doing a lot of tissue
>culturing I'm not sure of the answer, but does anyone know whether or not
>dormancy periods must be heeded for those cp which need it? Or, can you
>just divide and multiply infinitely without worrying about dormancy? TIA!

In practical terms you can divide and multiply infinitely - the culture
environment is so controlled and the nutrient concentrations so relatively
great that the cells have no stimuli to tell them to go dormant (unless
you pop them in the fridge.) Deflasking out of season can be problematic
with some spp. IME though, so I'd leave eg: tuberous Drosera till autumn,
or they'll plummet into dormancy within a few days.

        Happy cloning,

                        Peter

mailto:carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk : http:www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/cchome.htm
Cambrian Carnivores,17,Wimmerfield Cr.,SWANSEA,SA2 7BU, UK : tel 01792 205214
Carnivorous Plants,Seeds & Tissue Culture Kits - mailorder,export & wholesale