Re: Carnivorous Orchid?

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 07:59:18 PST

Date:          Wed, 4 Nov 1998 07:59:18
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Carnivorous Orchid?

Dear Larry,

> Carnivorous orchids? The November issue of Orchids magazine contains
> an article on an orchid, Aracamunia liesneri. The article's subtitle
> is "This native of Venezuela may be the first-described carnivorous
> orchid". It goes on to say that "The presence of one or two peculiar
> liguliform (tongue-shaped), glandular structures protruding from the
> base of each leaf...suggest Aracamunia may be the first insectivorous
> orchid", and that the structures are "compatible with flypaper insect
> traps".

This sounds interesting. _Aracamunia_ was apparently never mentioned
in the scientific literature since its description in 1989. Was the
plant studied alive? Any digestive enzymes? Does the article you
mentioned cite any original literature, or does it contain an
experimental section?

Glandular structures protruding from the base of leaves can have a
fairly wide range of functions but they have so far never been
discussed in connection with carnivory. The mere fact that such
structures are present is of course no sufficient proof of carnivory.

No known CP with flypaper insect traps does produce these from
glandular structures protruding from the leaf base, apart from the
fact that none of them is a monocot (i.e. they have a quite
fundamentally different leaf anatomy). So I cannot really see what
should be "compatible" between the orchid and known CPs.

Anyway, experimental data would be of greatest interest. TNX for your
communication.

Kind regards
Jan