Re[2]: Red Sphagnum

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 08:46:49 PST

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:46:49 -0500
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re[2]: Red Sphagnum

 Even if I avoid top-watering in that spot, the sphagnum doesn't seem to
return to its normal color. The water I'm using is 100% rainwater collected
in buckets from a downspout off of my roof which has asphalt shingles on it.
I realize that this might not be the cleanest water from a chemical
perspective but my CPs do fine.
 Philip and Mark,
 I have seen this Red/purple sphagnum in the field many times and collected
a couple of bags full a while back. Once removed from it's environment, it
tends to turn green again unless you grow it in pour peat or similar. I did
had some of this red/purple sphagnum return back to being red, but it took a
while and a lot of work. The red form (as we will call it) seems to like
lots of tannic water.
 As for the asphalt water. I would be very concerned with the chemical make
up of the water. I have heard people using runoff water with great success,
but this would depend on a lot of factors like frequency of rain falls,
condition of your roof and where you live. I don't know enough about this
method to advise, but would personally avoid using this water, if all
possible.
                           Charles