Pygmy Drosera and gemmae

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 08:00:11 PST

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:00:11 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pygmy Drosera and gemmae

I'm thinking of adding pygmy sundews to my collection, so I was
reading up on their requirements last night and I have a few beginner
questions:

1. If they are grown as tropical sundews, as the book said many can be,
will they still produce the gemmae, or do they need the summer dormancy
to reproduce that way?

2. How do you keep the gemmae from being flung out of the pot?
Peter's book says they may land several feet away from the mother
plant, and it sounds like even bumping the pot might send them flying.
 How do you normally "harvest" gemmae?

3. I have little space to grow my plants, so I try to combine those
with similar requirements into larger pots, which also makes caring
for them easier. Since I was also thinking of getting some tuberous
drosera, can I grow them together? Good idea or bad idea? Can a
tuberous drosera be left in the pot or do you need to take it out
during dormancy?

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah