Nepenthes aroma...

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 10:12:43 PDT

Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:12:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes aroma...

..... and other greenhouse smells,
        Hi Folks,
        I have not noticed the scents remarked on in my greenhouse, or
more precisely, if I have, have not connected it to the Nepenthes in
there. I have orchids in there also and always look to them for sweet
smells. I do notice how ever when the Nepenthes are in bloom that I can
almost tell which one it is by the quality of the oder. The female N.
spathulata seems a softer smell then the shaper, more urine-like oder of
the male N. spectabilis x spathulata. Both scents I would hesitate to
call pleasent. As far as trap originating aromas, in the summer I have
the doors open because the smell can become terrible. I feed chopped
slugs, bugs etc, and they also catch thier own as well. Most of the time
there only is a smell when the trap gets dumped unexpectadly down the back
of ones neck as they stand up under the hanging pot. When things warm up
in summer though, then it is rather thick until the fans come on. What
are you folks doing to get good smelling Nepenthes traps? 'tidy bowl'
perhaps or one of those other toilet ducks?
        Best wishes
        Andrew