Re: RE: RE : My Sarracenia question

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 20:39:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 20 Oct 98 23:39 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: RE: RE : My Sarracenia question

Dear Tom and all,

> And in response to both your comment and Gary's, one of the problems for
> me is that this does not occur with young plants that have just been
> repotted. In fact, it seems to happen just as often with older, mature
> plants with large rhizomes that have had several seasons to adjust the
> depth of their growth. I had considered repotting my mature Sarrs.
> thinking that perhaps leaving them in the same pot for too long might be
> encouraging some kind of fungus. I just hate to disturb them more often
> than is absolutely necessary.

   Hmm... I think this is more related to poor soil and lighting
conditions than any other factors. I have noticed Sarracenia that
are well shaded succumb to this far more often than those in brighter
light. Often when I let plants grow as they may in my bogs, a plant
will make so many leaves and growth points that it starts to shade and
bury some parts of the rhizome. If something isn't done soon, I'll
find the center of the plant eaten away (brown and mushy), and maybe
a couple side branches will be viable.
   Over time the soil in a pot will degrade leading to a build up of
fungus and bacteria which can starve the roots of oxygen or cause disease.
As for the particular fungus involved... Perhaps it is more like damp-
off and many different species can help to cause this rhizome rot.

Dave E @ Jersey