RE: RE : My Sarracenia question

From: Tom Massey (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 07:50:55 PDT

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:50:55 -0400
From: Tom Massey <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: RE : My Sarracenia question

David:

Water level may be something to consider. I certainly hope that tray
watering Sarrs. is not a contributing factor. I am somewhat reassured in
that it only happens to a few plants and that a plant that "catches the
rot" may have lived for four or five years with the same water level
before succumbing.

And in response to both your comment and Gary's, one of the problems for
me is that this does not occur with young plants that have just been
repotted. In fact, it seems to happen just as often with older, mature
plants with large rhizomes that have had several seasons to adjust the
depth of their growth. I had considered repotting my mature Sarrs.
thinking that perhaps leaving them in the same pot for too long might be
encouraging some kind of fungus. I just hate to disturb them more often
than is absolutely necessary.

Tom in Fl.