Nepenthes problem

From: Adao Pereira (miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt)
Date: Sun Oct 11 1998 - 10:27:19 PDT

Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 18:27:19 +0100
From: "Adao Pereira" <miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes problem

Hello to all!

I have what seems an healthy Nepenthes, which has been always producing
bigger and bigger pitchers. The problem is that its last pitcher hasn't
grown more than 10 cm, being the smallest pitcher of the plant! I don't
know what can be causing this. Is it possible that this happened because of
the approaching winter? The plant is enclosed in a terrarium with
fluorescent lights, near a window, but, as the winter approaches, less
light reaches the terrarium. Can be the lack of light the cause? Or maybe
the length of the day (13 hours at the moment)? Or possibly the lowering
temperatures (25 C in the day, 18 C at night)?
BTW: I think the plant is starting to send the upper pitchers right now.
Maybe this change is causing the problem?

Thanks for any info,
Miguel