Re: Snail eating VFT

From: Seos mac Cárthaigh (Seosamh.macCarthaigh@UCG.IE)
Date: Wed Oct 07 1998 - 04:55:48 PDT

Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 11:55:48 +0000 (GMT)
From: Seos mac Cárthaigh <Seosamh.macCarthaigh@UCG.IE>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Snail eating VFT

All,

> >I have a VFT wich I am told is a Hybrid, it has arms about 6 inches
> >long with jaws that are quite large, and it's eating a snail which is
> >also quite large.The jaws have totally covered the snail with just a
> >small hole left at the top.The plant is in my greenhouse surrounded by
> >water and it puzzles me to know how it got there. Will the jaws be
> >powerful enough to crush the shell? it's been in there about a week=3D20
> >and it hasn't reopened.

How about a detailed description of a 'Marston Giant Clone'?
I have a large VFT clone as well it is light green with pale red on
the inside of the traps. Unlike any other VFT clones that I have
there are 2-3 little spikes on the "shoulders" of the petioles where
they narrow in to form the neck of the traps. Almost like proto-VFT
"teeth".

I grow my plants in shallow water in aquaria in the greenhouse..
recently one of the traps opened to reveal a vine weevil. Apart from
the horror of finding a bloody vine weevil on the property at all I
am mystified how the VFT got it. I believe they are flightless (the
weevils that is).

regards

Seos (first frost due anynight now)
Seos mac Carthaigh