Re: Snail eating VFT

From: Andrew Bate (cp@astilla.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 06 1998 - 12:29:56 PDT

Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 19:29:56 GMT
From: cp@astilla.demon.co.uk (Andrew Bate)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Snail eating VFT

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 11:29:09 -0700, bruce@waddesdon.demon.co.uk wrote:

>I have a VFT wich I am told is a Hybrid, it has arms about 6 inches
>long with jaws that are quite large, and it's eating a snail which is
>also quite large.The jaws have totally covered the snail with just a
>small hole left at the top.The plant is in my greenhouse surrounded by
>water and it puzzles me to know how it got there. Will the jaws be
>powerful enough to crush the shell? it's been in there about a week=3D20
>and it hasn't reopened.

Hi Bruce, fancy seeing you here! :-)

To add what I know to this (since the plant came from me and I got my
original one from Marston Exotics over 9 years ago), I don't know for
sure what type of VFT it is but someone saw one at a UK CPS Open Day
and said it was probably a 'Marston Giant Clone'. Unfortunately, I
don't think I have a scan of a plant to let others on the list have a
look but I would be interested to know if such a VFT exists and if so
what it's characteristics are. If I can find a picture of one of my
plants to scan I will put it on the web but until then if anyone has
any comments please feel free to give them! :-)

Andrew
--=20
Andrew Bate | Email: andrew@astilla.demon.co.uk
Worcester, UK | Web: http://www.astilla.demon.co.uk