D. capensis and a dormancy question

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 09:31:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:31:57 +0200
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. capensis and a dormancy question

Hi CP people,

I bought a poor looking D. capensis "Alba" in a garden center in july.
Now
it has nine crowns and is growing out of the pot. Lately some
of these crowns have been sending up flowerstalks so the questions are;

1. How long does it take for a pollinated flower to produce seeds?

2. I know that they selfpollinate, but is there an advantage using
another flowers pollen (better production)?

I also have a VFT and a pot with Sarracenia purpurea and a nondescript
Sarracenia. The Sarr\264s are still growing new pitchers, but their
dormancy is getting closer. It\264s to varm inside so I wonder if it\264s
possible to have them in a isolated styroform box outside during the
winter. In the winter the temperature here can be as low as minus 25
degrees celsius shorter periods, but usually it\264s around minus 10-15 d c
(from december to march). If this arrangement is not recommended, I\264d
like to know the highest temp that the plants can go dormant in.

Finally I second the earlier praises for the book The Savage Garden.

TIA

--
Christer Berglund
E-mail: christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se