update on Georges

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 05:59:14 PDT

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:59:14 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: update on Georges

Hurricane Georges made landfill near the Mississippi/Alabama state line
yesterday and is heading inland slowly dumping 20 to 30 inches of rain in
some parts of coastal MS, AL, and FL. New Orleans, which was 40 or so miles
west of the eye was spared for the most part. There has been wind damage
all along the coast with trees being blown onto houses, but fortunately no
one has been killed.

The main problem now as Georges becomes a tropical depression is lots of
rainfall from the slow-moving storm and subsequent flooding. The outer
bands of rain are now in Atlanta (what's left of the eye is still on the
coast and Atlanta is a good 6 to 7 hours by car from the coast) and what
should be daylight at 8:45 a.m. here is an eerie dawn. Quite beautiful but
very ominous.

On the good side, we need the rain since Georgia's red clay is as hard as
bricks and I want to put in another bog.

David