Helio culture indoors

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 04:41:25 PDT

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:41:25 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Helio culture indoors

Also, can anyone give me some information about heliamphora sources and
growing conditions? Would they be suited to a terrarium?

Thanks in advance

brandon

Brandon and other helio growers,

Right now I am growing two species, H. tatei and H. ionasi. These plants
reside in a large fishtank in my basement in pots. The mixture I use is pure
live sphagnum with some crushed lava rock mixed in. When watered from above
the medium drains quite rapidly but still retains moisture. Lighting is
supplied by a two tube 40-watt fluorescent fixture within 10 inches of the
plants growing tip. The tubes I use are Hagen Life-glo's and are incredibly
bright for fluorescence. On top of the tank is a sheet of plate glass with
large openings on eighter side for air flow. The light fixture rests on top.
At the bottom I placed egg crate plastic that the pots sit on. The excess
water drains from the pots into this reservoir and keeps things very humid.
Year round the setup is lit for 14 hours a day. Ambient temperatures are 75f
daytime/65f nighttime in summer falling to 65f daytime/50-55f nighttime in
winter. My helios love these conditions and color up nicely.

Bottom line with any helio species is - bright , cool, and humid!

Hope this helps!

By the way, I've been following Hurricane Georges progress over the past 10
days and right now it is inland over Leucophylla "country". Has anyone on
the list ever witnessed what the effects are to CP after one of these storms
blow through? I would imagine that the wetlands would remain submerged for
an extended length of time.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@en.com