_P. vulgaris_ in Slovenia

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 21:39:04 PDT

Date:          Fri, 4 Sep 1998 21:39:04
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       _P. vulgaris_ in Slovenia

Dear Jure,

Yes, it is unusual to find _D. rotundifolia_ on limestone. But what
the plant requires is protection from too vigorous competition (which
is provided in _Sphagnum_ bogs) rather than acidic conditions. If the
limestone habitat is covered by a sufficiently thick humus layer, the
alkalinity of the substrate may drop considerably so that even
calcifuge species can establish in such niches. BTW, this is the
reason why some (ecological) vicariants are not separated
geographically, and it may be the reason for intermediate
hybridogenic populations.

> They are growing together with Pinguicula vulgaris,
> some in grass, some on decomposing branches, some even in running water.
> There is no trace of Sphagnum moss.

Are you really sure the _Pinguicula_ was the blue flowered _P.
vulgaris_, and was the locality in Slovenia?

If so, please send me details. Together with Heiko Rischer we have
spent some frustrating time in Slovenia striving to find any other
species of _Pinguicula_ than _P. alpina_, which is white flowered
and virtually ubiquitous there. No reliable record of any blue
flowered species of _Pinguicula_ from Slovenia is known to me. This
is strange because Slovenia is surrounded by four different
_Pinguicula_ species with blue flowers.

Thank you for any information in advance.

Kind regards
Jan