orchid bark

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 30 1998 - 10:09:38 PDT

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 10:09:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: orchid bark

Hi Folks,
        Just to again add my $.02 worth in debunking the 'need' to use
'orchid bark'. I don't mean this as an attack on any one, or as being
unfriendly. You the grower must make up your own mind. I personally
prefer saving money, and am blessed by being in an area where fir bark is
as common as dirt, and dirt cheap as well. On the other hand, orchid bark
is quite expensive. I have posted recently on this topic, but feel the
urge to again so here goes.

> There is a BIG difference between Orchid Bark and the bark you get in the
> garden center.
        Yes, I agree here. Orchid bark looks prettier, costs three to
four times, or even ten times as much, depending on the supplier and time
of year. It also has been sieved to remove the fines and may have
fungicides and insecticides added that may or may not be good for the
plant you want to put in the bark.
        Garden centre fir bark is available in larger quantities for much
less money. I pay about $2-3.00 if that for a large bag that contains
either 2ft or 4ft. It also is a rougher mix with all sorts of sized
materials from 2" down to dust fine. This I find stretches the peat
considerably. It doesn't have the chemicals that if needed can be added
by yourself quite handily I am sure, and if need be can be sterilized by
leaving the plastic bag unopened out in the hot summer sun for a few
days to sweat. This will kill most little bugs worth worrying about.

> The most important difference is that orchid bark is sterile,
> therefore eliminating the threat of virus and pests. Orchids grown in
> un-sterilized bark (or any potting medium) may outwardly appear to
> grow quite well, but many times have viruses which can cause deformed
> flowers, deformed plants, etc., especially as the plant ages. These
> viruses make the plant unsatisfactory for breeding purposes, not to
> mention risking the health of other plants. Viruses can and do spread
> from plant to plant through splashing water, etc.

        I have grown orchids and Nepenthes in fine grade beauty bark, ie
salt free fir bark bought in the garden center, for 10 years and noticed
no such problems. I know, lucky me right! Personally I don't want the
added fungicides and such included with my bark. I can add them quite
handily if I need to at a fraction of the cost. If I need to 'sterilize'
it I can run boiling water with some bleach added through the pot first,
then rinse well. Orchid bark may be 'sterile' going in to the bag, but
as soon as it is opened it is not, and once you water it or add other soil
components, then sterility is most certainly compromised. For me, the
question of sterility is not a serious consideration. Bug free yes,
sterile, who cares! the plants don't.
        Also, viruses can be contracted through all sorts of mediums.
Sterile soil is such a transient thing as pointed out, especially
considering that the average greenhouse is far from sterile, the air in
there isn't, water isn't, the plants certainly aren't. I know, every bit
helps, which is why we sterilize our secators etc when pruning plants.
With good reason, but unless the plant is planted in only sterile orchid
bark, and kept from all but sterile water and air, it is not going to stay
sterile for long. And there are your own hands, that can even when washed
contribute to contaminating the plant.

> The Orchid Bark also is graded differently than the bark that comes from the
> garden stores. Fine in "garden store terms" means a 2" piece, vs. 1/4" in
> "orchid terms."
        True, sort of. Orchid bark is sieved to exclude the multitude of
fines that occur in the beauty bark. While there are a few 2" bits, most
are smaller. In fact about 60% of what I buy (the cheapest available at
the time I need it, not any specific brand) is finer then 1/4" and when I
do sieve the mix, is kept for a seedling Nepenthes mix that is really
great. It also is good for seedling orchids as well.

> Also most Orchid Bark is redwood bark and fir bark is a small needle like
> bark. In Ohio this is quite different from the barks sold in the garden
> stores that are used for mulch, etc.
        Maybe so back east. Here in Washington, it is all fir bark. I
used to buy it until I read what was in it and realized that I could get
the same for MUCH less. I admit initially I was very hesitant, but after
all these years you won't find me going back. The money I have saved
buying beauty bark instead of the considerably more expensive orchid bark
I could easily buy another furnace for my greenhouse, or even put up a
greenhouse.
        Again, I do not mean to attack your own experiance. We have
different techniques and I am certain I can learn from yours many things.
It has been my experiance that Nepenthes and the orchids I grow (Dracula,
Brassia, Brasovula, Stanhopea, Phalanopsis) are not really as delicate as
alot of people think, and while I claim no expertise at all with orchids,
I know enough now about growing Nepenthes to urge the potential grower not
to worry so much. In fact the worst looking Nepenthes I ever saw were
grown by orchid growers treating them too much like orchids. Once I set
them right, they had a lot less work to do, and a lot nicer plants to
boot!

        Best wishes
        Andrew