Re: orchid bark

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@microserve.net)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 06:11:49 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:11:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@microserve.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: orchid bark

Joe,

> I have always beeen curious. Can anyone explain what the difference
> between
>what is sold as Orchid Bark around here(Nebraska) for a good chunk of
>change and cheaper bags of bark like Western Fir Bark and other bark
>products sold at Garden Centers?

I will just offer my .02 here...... I would say most importantly,
sterility. What is sold as orchid mix is *usually* sterile and bark
products come with all kinds of creepy crawlies in them, not to mention
fungal problems. I would definitely not suggest using the cheaper stuff
because it will cost you in the long run:)

Take care & keep on growing,

Thomas K. Hayes

DANGEROUS PLANTS
dangerous_plants@hotmail.com