Re: Hurricanes and Horror Movies

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 11:21:53 PDT

Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 14:21:53 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hurricanes and Horror Movies

Howdy folks! Peter here at California Carnivores. Thanks to Becky for
mentioning the Little Shop production. I was a guest of honor at the local
River Rep's production earlier this summer, and have seen it on stage many
times. Marilee and I have done terrarium displays in the lobby of some local
productions over the years.
     Steve's comments on CP in horror movies naturally caught my attention.
See my article on "It Came From Hollyweird" all about the subject a couple of
years ago in my Savage Garden column in the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. I
couldn't fit all the movies that had CP as supporting roles, but one which I
remembered as a kid I recently saw on American Movie Classics: Konga. A
riotous campy film about a mad scientist (Michael Gough, delightfully
hysterical and insane) who uses extracts from his vast carnivorous plant
collection to turn a chimp into a Kong sized ape! I had forgotten how
carnivores were such main part of the plot.
    Hurricane Bonnie over Venus Flytrap territory this week reminded me of the
field trip I took in October of 1996 with Larry Mellichamp and Rob Gardner. It
was right after Hurricanes Bertha and Fran swept through. The tidal surge
swept inland ten miles, and it was numbing to see fields of Sarracenia and
flytraps dead or dying from the salt water. It was an unforgettable sight.
    Th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks! Peter