Premature dormancy in D. filiformis...

From: Gary Kong (garko@juno.com)
Date: Sat Aug 22 1998 - 17:26:28 PDT

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 17:26:28 -0700
From: garko@juno.com (Gary Kong)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Premature dormancy in D. filiformis...

Hi Everyone--

I live in San Francisco, in the fog belt, and have a pot of D. filiformis
(typical) that are now forming the tell tale woolly hibernaculae typical
of this species. My question: Is this too early in the growing season
for this? They grew well this year and bloomed quite a lot, even though
temps have been on the cool side. At about this time of year, we usually
experience an Indian Summer. What happens if the plants begin growing
again? Should I just leave it be? Or should I keep them in a dormant
state by artificially lowering temps and light?

Gary Kong

Note: new e-mail address.