RE: Drosophyllum

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Aug 18 1998 - 06:30:00 PDT

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:30:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Drosophyllum

I sow my seed on top of a mix made up of 9 parts sand and 1 part milled
sphangum peat moss. I keep the pot sitting in water until the seed
germinate, then remove the pot and water whenever the media almost dries
out. I've noticed that a germinated seed will not penetrate the mix if
the pot is kept in water.

The pots are set under fluorescent lights. So far, I've kept them
inside in a cool basement because of all I've read about their dying so
easily from overwatering. I've noticed that usually even if several
seed germinate only 1 plant eventually survives in a pot. This is
consistent with what I've read in Peter's book, so next time I'll
transplant seedlings if more than one germinates per pot.

Try not to be discourage by the many ways that people grow their plants.
Plants are like people, they can survive in the most amazing conditions.

David
Atlanta