Re: Drosophyllum

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 24 1998 - 19:30:19 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 07:30:19 +0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosophyllum

> I wrote an article for the UKCPS Journal last year which
> covered Drosophyllum cultivation, I will see if I can find
> an electronic copy and send it too you directly. Perhaps
> with some modification I could convert this article into
> something for the Cp archives if there is sufficient
> interest out there (the article also includes Byblis
> gigantea which Brian Cochran has already done an excellent
> job on). However I can only comment on my experiences
> through out the 90's with this plant and to state what has,
> and has not worked for me. There is every possibility that
> others may be enjoying success by very different means to
> mine.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Loyd

Dear Loyd:

I would be very interested in reading such an article. My experience with
Drosophyllum has been less than successful. A bit difficult for a northern
apartment-deck gardener, but for a while the plant was thrifty and
vigorous.

Although I did manage to keep one for over two years and to a height of 28
cm, it did not survive it's third winter. I suspect that it got too wet
around the stem base and could not recover. It was truly unusual and, I
thought, quite attractive glistening in the sun, while it lasted.

Kind Regards,

Rand

The Writing Service
Rand Nicholson