cp IRA

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Thu Aug 13 1998 - 12:04:50 PDT

Date:          Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:04:50
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       cp IRA

Dear listeners,

The ISHS Commission on Nomenclature & Registration has recently
accepted the application by the ICPS to become the IRA for cultivated
carnivorous plants. Given the formal ratification of our appointment
at ISHS Council, we will henceforth be entitled to register all names
of cultivated carnivorous plants (cp cultivars, cultivar groups, and
chimaeras) published world wide.

The most important consequence of this for cp growers will be the
necessity to register their cultivar names with us before these names
are established. Authors and growers are strongly encouraged to use
only established names. Not established names can usually not be
traced to a particular plant, so noone can be sure if a given
specimen belongs to an outlaw name or not. As soon as there is
something to communicate (publish, distribute, exhibit) about a
plant, it can and should be named properly.

Registration will be the way to get rid of unofficial "nicknaming"
and to stop proliferation of bogus in cp nomenclature.

Kind regards
Jan