Re: Queensland Sundew Cultivation

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 05:21:00 PDT

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:21:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Queensland Sundew Cultivation

Hi Jay,

I have been growing D. adalae in a terrarium for 2 years in a mix of 1
part sand and 1 part milled sphagnum moss. The pots are immersed in
live sphagnum moss into a layer of long-fibered sphagnum moss, perlite,
and charcoal beneath. About 1 to 2 inches of standing water is kept at
the bottom of the aquarium. I never water the pots since they are kept
moist by capillary action from the sphagnum. Although I've nevered
measured, I assume humidity is high since the terrarium top is covered
with glass or Saran Wrap, leaving only small openings. An aquarium pump
brings fresh air into the bottom of the terrarium and a small computer
fan inside the terrarium circulates air. The plants are about 12
inches from two 40W fluorescent light bulbs on a timer with
approximately 12 hour days.

About once a year some of the plants die back. That's the singal for me
to replace the media. Perhaps if I were more diligent I could prevent
die back by repotting on a schedule but since runners are rampant,
there's no need.

I've tried growing them outside in Atlanta's long hot summer but they
don't like it. The above set up is also great for Nepenthes and
Heliamphoras and for rescuing distressed paph seedlings. I've stopped
watering them, too, and assume that capillary action is taking care of
their soil moisture needs.

David
Atlanta