Re: Queensland Sundew Cultivation

From: Carl Gustafson (carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 12:53:27 PDT

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 15:53:27 -0400
From: Carl Gustafson <carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Queensland Sundew Cultivation

>I would be curious to hear from successful growers of the tropical Australian
>Sundews (D. adelae, D. shizandra and D. prolifera). I grow them all myself,
>the first two are touch and go (alternating between death/dormancy and lush
>growth) and D. prolifera is a fairly reliable grower for me. But, given that
>all three have a terrible reputation for being finicky, and cultural advice
>varied widely (pure long-fibre sphagnum, peat/sand, pure perlite, etc.) ....
>what do people do?

Of these, I only grow D. adelae. Mine (several clones) have been growing
vigorously for at least a year, one has been flowering since April at
least, so I figure I'm doing something right.

They are potted in 3-4" standard plastic pots, in 1:1 peat:sand. (Sand
filched from my son's sandbox supply.) Kept indoors, under lights - 2 40W
cool whites, about 13 hrs/day. Temps mid 60s to low 70s (F) nights, days
upper 60s to upper 70s. All in one tray, with approx. one quarter to one
half inch of water (humidifier condensate). Occasionally fed with flake
fish food.

Leaves are perhaps 4" long, green with reddish tentacles. They produce
copious new growths from the roots.

I should try the other species, I suppose.