Re: Swamp coolers

From: James Aldridge (jaldr@onramp.net)
Date: Tue Jul 28 1998 - 02:46:13 PDT

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:46:13 GMT
From: jaldr@onramp.net (James Aldridge)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Swamp coolers

>Swamp coolers are very simple, but they only cool well in low humidity
>climates. =20

But as temperatures rise during the day, relative humidity typically =
drops. So,
when you need cooling the most, it's there for you. I live near Fort =
Worth,
Texas, USA, and we have moderate humidity in the summer, and my wet wall =
still
keeps greenhouse temperatures well below ambient. Boy am I glad about =
that this
summer!

The wet wall/evap cooler(s) need to be sized to greenhouse volume and =
exhaust
fan(s) capacity to work most efficiently.

>air through the wet pads, cooling the air

The vaporization of water requires energy, which it obtains as heat from =
the
surrounding air, so air temperature drops. I grow orchids and cp, so the =
added
humidity is a big bonus as well.

Jim

James Aldridge - Fort Worth, Texas, USA