Re: S oreo making new pitchers

From: C. J. Mazur (ccp@vaxxine.com)
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 06:33:27 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:33:27 -0400
From: "C. J. Mazur" <ccp@vaxxine.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: S oreo making new pitchers

Actually in the wild, S. oreo goes into a summer dormancy. Places where
they grow tend to be wet in the spring, but as the heat of the summer moves
in, the habitats tend to dry out, so the plant produces phylodia and goes to
sleep. In the fall if it gets wetter, the plants may start producing
pitchers again.

Infact many sarrs tend to have a summer rest. Leuco, for example, pitchers
pitchers like crazy in the spring and then stops, and even produced phylodia
and then goes into active growth again in the fall.