Re: Foul smelling soil

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 00:27:18 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 07:27:18 +0000
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Foul smelling soil

> I noticed that many of my plants started to have foul smelling soils. This
> is especially noticable when I am repotting my plants. My plants always sit
> in plenty of water. Maybe I am waterlogging my plants to the extreme, hence
> causing this bad smell. Maybe I should let the soils dry a bit before I
> water them again.

Emre: Yes, you are keeping your plants just a little too waterlogged.
It's a good idea to let the trays evaporate dry or almost dry between
fillings with water. When you add water, add 1/4" to 1/2" water. This
works well for pitcher plants and most droseras. Your venus flytraps,
however, really hate waterlogged soil: mine did very poorly when I
continually sat them in water, but are now lush and happy since I
started just watering them daily, leaving only a tiny bit of water in
the trays, if any. If it's very hot (mid 90's F and higher), I will
sometimes leave a little water in their trays, which will then
evaporate by noon or so.

Also, hard water is certainly harmful to your plants; you should
switch to rain water or distilled water or R.O. water.

Finally, did all your plants get the winter dormancy that they
require?

Good luck,
Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden