RE: VFT reproduction

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 06:58:32 PDT

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:58:32 -0400
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: VFT reproduction

> I have a VFT that has been happilly growing for just
> under a year now. I have recently noticed that
> instead of all the leaves growing from one spot in
> the middle of the pot, there seem to be two
> different spots from which the leaves are growing.
> I read somewhere that sometimes the bulb separates
> into different parts that can each become there own
> plant. I want to know if that could be what has
> happened and if I should separate the two plants.

Karin, your interpretation is right on the money. You don't have to
separate the plants, but you certainly can if you want more VFTs.
Obviously you can save work by separating them when you repot them, but
since you said you just did that you might want not to wait that long.
Since I don't know where you live, I'll offer this caution -- if the
plants are on their way to dormancy, I would wait until spring to
separate them. If you live anywhere in the US, now is probably a fine
time to do the deed.
Since this is the first time you've done this, you might want to be able
to see what you're doing. Dig up the plant, hold it loosely in your hand
and swish it gently in a bucket of water (rainwater, preferably). This
will remove the soil without damaging the fine root hairs. Once all the
soil is gone, you should be able to see pretty clearly what you've got
to deal with and how it should separate. If the plant is really ready it
might separate itself while you're swishing it in the bucket.

HTH,
Philip
URL du Jour: http://www.atlantabotanicalgarden.org/titan.htm