Re: fungicide question

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 00:34:01 PDT

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 07:34:01 +0000
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: fungicide question

> Recently we received some VFT's from a list member( Thanks Tom!) After
> transplanting and placing in a terrarium, some of the leaves are turning
> black and dying. I would like to drench with a fungicide , but the only
> one we have is Daconil.
> It is ok to use for tropicals, but I don't know about CP's, Is it OK or
> is there a better
> one to use? Any info would be helpful.

I've used Daconil on Sarracenia with no problem; it's probably fine
for VFTs as well. But, perhaps you don't even need it: the black
leaves may have nothing to do with a fungus. It could simply be
transplant shock, or too much or too little moisture (VFT's like to
be moist, but should not stay waterlogged), or too little light (they
like lots of strong light). If the leaves die for ANY reason (even
old age), they turn black.