Hard Water

From: Emre_Gurcan@philips.com.tr
Date: Wed Jul 08 1998 - 22:25:53 PDT

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:25:53 +0300
From: Emre_Gurcan@philips.com.tr
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hard Water

To add to the recent topic of hard water, I want to share with you my
experience. I use tap water for my CP's and we have reasonably hard tap
water in Istanbul. Last time I tested the water with an aquarium water
hardness test kit (sold in petshops), it tested over 10 DH (German system I
believe). However, I have been successfully using it on my CP's for over 2
years with no major ill effects. Except from Heliamphoras (which perished),
all others seem to thrive. The trick I use is the below:

- I add approx. 2-3 drops of vinegar per gallon of water to make it acidic
(otherwise it is slightly alkaline). This reduces the PH to around 6 to
6.5.
- I immediately add the prescribed amount of an aquarium water conditioner
(to remove chlorine and harmful metals)

I am becoming convinced that as long as the water is acidic and free of
other harmful substances, the high mineral content in water does not cause
any visible ill effects. BTW, I repot my plants maximum every two years.

Does this experience sound familiar, or any comments?

Best Regards,

Emre Gurcan