A first Nepenthes

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Fri Jul 03 1998 - 21:16:55 PDT

Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 00:16:55 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: A first Nepenthes

Dennis wrote:

The question first: What would anyone recommend as a first Nepenthes to
grow in a terrarium? My children are wanting to get a monkey cup as
they call them and the more I read the more confused I get. I would
like something that would be happy in a warm terrarium with 65-100%
humidity. Temperatures probably would range from 65 to 85 degrees F.

I don't think you can go wrong with an N. gracilis. It is a smaller
lowlander that develops 1-2" pitchers and enjoys warm humid conditions
year-round. Another one to consider is N. ampullaria. This species develops
kettle-shaped pitchers on a scrambling stem that would stay within the
confines of a 20 gallon tank. Some other easy species are N. alata, N.
khasiana, or the vigorous hybrid N. coccinea. The last three, though, will
quickly outgrow a small tank unless they are pruned back. All enjoy temps
between 65-90f and high humidity.

Good luck and welcome to the list!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio