Re: Red and Green Dragons

From: Stefan Ploszak (imduff@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 20 1998 - 08:50:16 PDT

Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 08:50:16 PDT
From: "Stefan Ploszak" <imduff@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Red and Green Dragons

Hi Doug,

>I'm growing both the 'Red Dragon' and 'Green Dragon' clones of
>Dionaea. I fail to observe any difference between the two.

Your observations are quite common. Many people fail to see any
differnce between the two clones. It is my understanding that the 'Red
Dragon' is supposed to be an "all red" plant. However, the "Green
Dragon" is supposed to be a green plant with red margins along the
petiole and trap. When I want to buy more "all red" VFTs, I tend to buy
the "Green Dragon" because it is practically identical to the 'Red
Dragon' and it is cheaper.

>Can anyone out there tell me the exact parentage of these plants

 The exact parentage of the 'Red Dragon' is listed in the CPN( I think
June '96) when it was established as a cultivar. Basically, the parents
are an "all red" female crossed with a "fine tooth" (AKA German Dentate)
male. From this cross the most vigorous, red colored seedling was
selected.
 I sometimes question the validity of this cross. It is my understanding
that the "all red" color is a recessive trait. So then, how could an
"all red" seedling result from a cross between an "all red" and a green
plant; all the progeny of this cross should have "typical" color(green).
It's only possible if the "fine tooth" parent is heterozygous for the
"all red" mutation. I doubt this is the case, but it is one of only two
possibilities I could reason. I'm in the process of testing the genotype
of the "fine tooth" for the "all red" color by selfing this plant. If it
is heterozygous for the "all red" color, then 25% of the progeny should
be "all red." If it's not heterozygous for the "all red" color, then all
the progeny should be green. I should know the results by this fall. The
other possibility is that the "all red" female parent of the 'Red
Dragon' was contaminated with it's own pollen or with pollen from
another "all red" plant. So, what is the true parentage of the 'Red
Dragon?'
 The "Green Dragon" is a sport of the 'Red Dragon.' At some point in the
in vitro proliferation of the 'Red Dragon,' a spontaneous mutation
created this new clone. In that case, the parents are the same as the
'Red Dragon,' but the DNA should not be identical to it. The "Green
Dragon" is a mutant form of the 'Red Dragon' mutant. :)

 Sorry if I've added some confusion to yours,
 Stefan Ploszak