Re: Nepenthes soil

From: Johannes Marabini (Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 15:30:57 PDT

Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 00:30:57 +0200
From: Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de (Johannes Marabini)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes soil

Hi Perry and all,

I measured the pH near the summit of Trusmadi (geological the
Trusmadi-formation: sandstone and mudstone) and the pH of the
organic soil was between 6,5 and 7,0. In some very wet places, where
you can find Sphagnum (but no Nepenthes), the pH was 5,8.

Kinabalu is of course more acid, as the montain consits of granite
(acid igneos rocks) and olivine (serpentine - ultrabasic soil, which
is rich in magnesia). But I never saw a Nepenthes on Kinabalu and
Trusmadi growing in the pure mineralic soil always in the organic
layer. Only on G.Silam (n.macrovulgaris), along the Tambunan Road
(N.fusca and reinwardtiana) and along some roads in Sarawak
(N.ampullaria, rafflesiana and gracilis)the Nepenthes grow in
mineralic soil. In every place, this soil was dried out deeply. The pH
vary in all places between 6,3 and 7,1 (Silam). Only N.bicalcarata was
growing in acid peat in Kalimantan.

bye Johannes

--
@email: mailto Johannes.marabini@t-online.de