white grandiflora (again)

From: JWi5770869@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 11:37:23 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:37:23 EDT
From: JWi5770869@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: white grandiflora (again)

Regarding White flowered Ping grandiflora, recently stated :-

"Also Nelson recorded that these plants produced plenty of seed in '89 and '90
......."

and

"RE: f. chionopetra and conservation
My personal impression is that anthocyanin-negative mutants are far
more likely to be pollinated, propagated, and preserved by some weird
humans commonly called cp growers than by an (at the moment purely
hypothetical) insect exclusively visiting white flowers. Therefore,
the best measure to protect the mutant would have been to establish
it in cultivation and to select the plant as a cultivar."

Personally I'd love the chance to try and grow it and somebody out there IS
growing it. I was under the initial impression that the plant was extremely
rare, hence the unavailability, however if it seems to be as prolific as the
bog-standard grandiflora why isn't it in general cultivation??

John Wilden

Southport Lancs UK.

"Forget Friends and Jerry Springer, in a perfect world, the slugs and
snails wouldn't come back after I throw them over the fence (Grin)"