Stratification of Sarracenia Seed

From: S.Gordon (na05@rapid.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 10 1998 - 08:25:54 PDT

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:25:54 +0100
From: "S.Gordon" <na05@rapid.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Stratification of Sarracenia Seed

>A most difficult question. I thought I had a fairly good handle on
stratification until this recent discussion. I think most people stratify
Sarr seeds because the books, and lore, and members state that it is
successful. Others use a short trip to the freezer and get good results.
Regardless of the science, actual practice shows that moist, cold storage
works, freezing works, and in some cases, dry refrigeration works. And
sometimes, none of the above works.

Dear David and All,

Before I go any further, this is in agreement with the above.

You seem to have a good 'handle' on the subject from what I can see. I am
no expert on the germination of seeds, but someone that is told me that it
is more an art than a science.

Time collected, length of storage, temperature at which the seeds are stored
,,,,,,,, I could go on, and on! ; all of these will have an affect on the
seeds germination requirements.

Some seeds that would normally require lengthy stratification periods have a
small window of time just after harvesting when they will germinate with no
pre-treatment. Nurserymen (my wife tells me that it should be Nursery
People), like to know exactly where a batch of seed came from as the
geographic source of seed is extremely important. Certain species of tree
seed, collected from trees grown in warmer climes, will not need as much -
if any - stratification as seed harvested in colder areas.

People vastly more experienced in germinating Sarracenia seed have stated
that they need four to six weeks stratification; this is what I give my
seeds with excellent results. There may be no one treatment for this
species. I was going to try every pre-treatment I know of this Autumn to
see which one works the best for Sarracenias. But, then I thought what's
the point; that would only tell us what fresh Sarracenia seed from plants
acclimatised to the Liverpool UK area need!

I was, believe it or not, attempting to clarify the subject, but feel I may
have complicated matters. Not to worry, life goes on!

I guess if you are in a rush, sow your Sarracenia seed with no pre-treatment
and if nothing happens, bung them in the fridge.
But, for what it's worth, I know what I would do.

Best wishes,

Steve.