RE: Stratification of Sarracenia seed

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 11:23:00 PDT

Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 14:23:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Stratification of Sarracenia seed

Does the seed , in the wild , get exposed to these cold,lengthy
treatments?

Yes, fall, winter, and spring are the rainy seasons in the coastal
southeastern US. Much of the coastal areas will have anywhere from
several days to several weeks of freezing weather. The soutnernmost
limit of Sarracenia, if I remember correctly, is somewhere halfway down
the Florida penisula, probably around Orlando. The species with the
southernmost range is S. minor. The northern parts of Florida typically
have winter temperatures in the 40's so the 50 degree mentioned in other
emails seems to fit with what is happening in nature. North Carolina,
South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and even Texas typically
have winter temperatures in the 40's and 30's and quite often freezes.

> I know that if I exposed my adult sarracenias to these types of
temperatures
>(in the open as opposed to greenhouse) in the Winter then they would
surely
>perish, why should the seeds be any different?

Actually, they probably wouldn't. Practically all of the Sarr species
will grow in outdoor bogs as far north as southern Canada. S.
psittacina, though, seems to be somewhat more susceptible to cold
weather or rather cold windy weather. It's the one I'm likely to loose
outdoor here in Atlanta, zone 7, where usually the coldest it gets is in
the teens.

>Does everyone routinely stratify their seeds? Or is this just a trick
to kick
>seed into action?

A most difficult question. I thought I had a fairly good handle on
stratification until this recent discussion. I think most people
stratify Sarr seeds because the books, and lore, and members state that
it is successful. Others use a short trip to the freezer and get good
results. Regardless of the science, actual practice shows that moist,
cold storage works, freezing works, and in some cases, dry
referigeration works. And sometimes, none of the above works.

With all the emails about this, you now have all the information most of
us are working with <grin>. So, take your pick or use your own
experience.

David
Atlanta