Stratification of Sarracenia seed

From: JWi5770869@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 10:49:07 PDT

Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 13:49:07 EDT
From: JWi5770869@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Stratification of Sarracenia seed

There has been recent discussion on the list about stratification of
sarracenia seed in order to germinate it.

Does the seed , in the wild , get exposed to these cold,lengthy treatments?

I always thought that Florida/ the south (sorry, should that be with a capital
S !) weren't exposed to these types of temperatures (I've only visited in the
Summer, so don't know the year-round weather patterns).

I know that if I exposed my adult sarracenias to these types of temperatures
(in the open as opposed to greenhouse) in the Winter then they would surely
perish, why should the seeds be any different?

Does everyone routinely stratify their seeds? Or is this just a trick to kick
seed into action?

I've never seen the need (IMHO) as long as the seed is reasonably fresh and
has been stored properly.

Thanks

John Wilden

Southport,Lancashire UK.