D. filiformis terrarium problem

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 22:13:28 PDT

Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 01:13:28 -0400
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. filiformis terrarium problem

Rich wrote:

 have some Drosera filiformis v. filiformis growing in 50-50 peat-perlite
in pots (tray system) in a terrarium under lights (central Massachusetts).
My problem is that the tips of new leaves are turning brown when the leaf
is almost fully uncurled. I've got 13 other species of temperate and
tropical Drosera that are doing well under the same conditions. What
could be the cause of the leaf tip dieback?

Since D. filiformis grows quite tall could it be that your plants are
suffering from sunburn from the lights? How far away are the leaf tips from
your lights? Have you recently transplanted them? If thats the case they may
be going through a period of shock. How about humidity? I know that near the
lightsource the humidity levels in a terrarium setup are much lower than
near the surface of the medium.

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@crscms.com