Re: Phone Scam! OFF TOPIC!

From: John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 16:24:53 PDT

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 16:24:53 -0700 (MST)
From: John Walker <jorwa@syspac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Phone Scam! OFF TOPIC!

Andrew,

This may or may not be real depending on where you are. I don't think that
this can work if you are called at home. I also don't think that this would
work from most Businesses. It depends on what kind of PBX switching
equipment is used at your work or your local central office (phone company).
It absolutely can work if you share your PBX with the jail. This means you
would likley be affected if you work for a local government, i.e. city (city
jail), county (county jail), state, (state prison). The scam can work like
this: An inmate who has no dial nine access for an outside line, but can
dial internal 4 or 5 digit numbers to the Public Defender, calls someone
(anyone in the PBX switch) via an internal number. When you answer they
say they are testing the line and ask to be transferred to 9001. The last
digit really doesn't matter. By dialing 9 you get an outside line, by
dialing 00 you get a long distance operator (eventually), and again the last
digit doesn't matter. You then press transfer as requested by the
"technician" and the inmate has now been transferred to a long distance
operator! Very slick as you transfer them before you hear the operator come
on. Again, the digits the inmate needs you to press will depend on the PBX,
but if you have a friend call you at home and you press 90# and then hang up
I don't think that will transfer your friend to the operator.

Hope this helps.
John in Phoenix
Director of Telecommunications
Maricopa County
Clerk of Superior Court (next door to the county jail)