Cephalotus media

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Mon May 18 1998 - 22:24:25 PDT

Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 01:24:25 -0400
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cephalotus media

David wrote:

Hi readers! I am in the process of buying a Cephalotus cutting and I would
like to hear from some successful Cephalotus growers what planting mediums
worked best for them.

I grow my ceph's in a mixture of peat/ sharp silica sand/ pine bark mulch,
equal portions of each. I tend to use larger pots than called for ( 8"
instead of 5"). Cephalotus hates ANY root disturbance , these larger pots
let the rhizome elongate and divide naturally with time. All my pots are top
dressed with live sphagnum moss, which looks great against a clump of
colourful pitchers!

One word of caution-- in the past all my cephs received through the mail
have gone through a period of extreme shock. Within days of unpacking and
potting up they loose their leaves and pitchers, looking like death warmed
over. I just put the pots in a humid place under low intensity fluorescents
and within a few weeks new foliage growth commences.

Hope this helps!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@crscms.com