Re: Introducing CP in the wild

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 22:17:00 PDT

Date:    Sat, 16 May 98 01:17 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Introducing CP in the wild

> I'd be very pleased to know any opinion about this delicate argument.
> Filippo Tassara
> Genova, Italy

Dear Filippo,

   Your article about introducing species into suitable locations
within their respective ranges is very interesting. I can't really
see much harm being done.
   I don't really understand it, but over here in the US we have this
strange set of laws that basically say you can't pick plants out from
the wild without the landowners permission (as it should be).
Endangered plants cannot be "harvested" unless the owner has permission
from the government to allow such gathering of these plants on their
property. Anyone without these permissions can be fined per plant
and or prosecuted for other punishments (as should be). However,
there is no legal way to stop land owners from destroying every single
last plant on their property. This last bit makes no sense to me.
   Currently, our economic trend is to develop every last bit of land
and soon it will all be gone or so badly reduced, that without our
direct involvement in their care, many water-dependant species will
go extinct. I don't feel this is debatable, just a mere fact. The
question is how long will these still viable areas remain intact.
It is this light that I feel no harm can really be done as many of the
places that you might plant new material will be short-lived anyway.
   Perhaps there are ways to include more species than those native
or currently present in parks without harming the "natives"; as a
way to help preserve species that don't have the luxury of having a
park within their range that does include land on which they live.
If we can't do this, then Filippo, I would guess you have the next
best option.

Dave Evans