Darlingtonia cultivation

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 21:50:35 PDT

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 00:50:35 -0400
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Darlingtonia cultivation

Charles Brewer wrote:

 I was thinking about digging a hole in the ground, in
     a semi shaded area and planting the pot into the ground in hopes of
     keeping their root system cool enough to carry them through the hot
     summer. I have already set aside a plant for experimenting with.

This method seems to work for me. In February I purchased a very large 24
inch white plastic pot and filled the bottom half with a combo of pine bark
mulch/peat. The top 4 or so inches was dressed with pure live sphagnum
(thanks again Charles!) then a bunch of dormant Darlingtonias were added. I
dug a big hole in the ground a couple feet away from the north wall of my
greenhouse. The pot was lowered in to just below the rim and soil added
outside the pot to snug things in. I inserted a dial-type stainless steel
thermometer into the moss to monitor root temps.

The pot is watered from above with rain or distilled water until the medium
appears saturated. To date I've noticed vigorous growth on all my plants
including my first ever flower stalks. These plants stay in open shade
during the entire day without any direct sunlight. Even when the air
temperature gets above 80f (like today) the pot media stays below 60f. I'm
sure I'll eventually have to start applying chilled water when the heat of
summer hits but I think I have finally stumbled upon a successful method, my
past two seasons using clay pots, ice packs, partial sun, ice cubes,
SUPERthrive, 10W40, tea leaves, dry ice, Foster's Lager, etc. etc...
yielding only limited growth.

Give it a try, it just might work for you!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@crscms.com