Re: Home Depot, etc.

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Tue May 12 1998 - 06:42:33 PDT

Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:42:33 -0400
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Home Depot, etc.

> I've been wondering about something to do with the
> great buys at the superstores:
>
> Has anyone considered or, better yet, investigated
> the origin of the plants they sell? I think that
> most of us are generally concerned about the ethics
> of growing and selling these plants -- and some of
> us (like me) are downright fanatical about it.
> Three dollars seems like a pretty low price, and I
> don't have the impression that these stores are
> going to painstakingly investigate the ethics of all
> of their suppliers.

Dustin,
One of my local gourmet grocery stores sells inexpensive CPs. (Wellspring
Grocery, for those of you in the Durham, NC area. This is the same chain as
Bread & Circus and Whole Foods Market.) When I talked to someone in
Wellspring about the origins of their plants she (the plant/flower
representative) was very knowledgeable and understood the implications of
field collection. She assured me that all their plants are purchased from a
reputable nursery that does not field collect. I have also seen tags on CP
pots in Home Depot (I think) that specifically stated that the plants were
grown from tissue culture. Furthermore, I had a garden store owner tell me
that members of the North Carolina Nurseryman's Association must agree not
to field collect as part of their Association membership. I don't know
whether he was referring specifically to CPs or to plants in general.

So there you have it, evidence (albeit anecdotal) that these plants don't
represent a threat to wild populations. Take it FWIW. I agree that
MegaStores, Inc. is not likely to be too picky about the sources of its
plants, but I also think that big stores buy in large volumes that make TC
economical, probably even more so than field collection.

My $.02,
Philip
URL du Jour: http://opaldata.com/the_end/index.html