Conversion of tap water?

From: Elliot Smith (e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 12 1998 - 04:27:39 PDT

Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:27:39 +0100
From: Elliot Smith <e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Conversion of tap water?

I'm a newcomer to CPs, and live in the West Midlands (UK). So far, I've
been able to collect enough rainwater to give to my seedlings, but a
long hot summer might stop this. I'm also slightly worried about
invasion by weeds, algae etc. that might stray into my rainwater
containers.

My question: is there a relatively cheap way to make tap water suitable
for CPs? For example, is there something similar to the stuff you can
buy to convert tap water into pond water suitable for aquatic life? Does
boiling help at all? Or should I just buy distilled water in bulk? Also,
what is it in tap water which actually harms CPs?

Thanks.
Elliot Smith