Re:Home Depot 98

From: Trevor Christensen (situla@spacestar.net)
Date: Mon May 11 1998 - 21:23:14 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 May 98 23:23:14 -0500
From: Trevor Christensen <situla@spacestar.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Home Depot 98

Paul said:
>Isn't S. purpurea one of the sarrs that needs it's pitchers filled a
>little with rain water from time to time if kept indoors (mine are in my
>terrarium)? I know many sarrs use the lid to keep rain water out, but I
>seem to remember that purpureas need rainwater to fill the base of the
>pitchers.

>From my expirence, the only plant which "comes with fluid" is Nepenthes,
which are filled with rain water anyway.
In short, EVERY pitcher plant should have water in it. If there is no
fluid in the trap, it will be extremely hard for the digestive process to
work. The bacteria will be in inhibited and the enzymes will move less
freely. Also, the prey has a greater chance of escape, and will stay
alive longer. Plants with water, aside from these reasons, are also
healthy with water in their traps just because " they like it."

If grown in a terrarium, sarrs (purpurea and psittacina and rubra,
considered the only ones that do not hate terrarium growing) hold water
much better. In my living room, the pitchers often loose water quickly
due to evaporation and such. One would think the plant would learn to
devote *some* water to the pitcher by itsself.
Sarrs don't neccessarily "use the lid to keep rain water out" it is more
of a "safety lid" protecting against foreign objects and large deluges
and splashes of water which may upset the contents of the trap. Try
holding a rhubarb leaf above your head in the rain and staying dry. The
plants need water in the pitchers for cosmetic, nutritional, structural
and some other reasons.

This is an un-scientific way of describing it, but is pretty
true-to-life. I'm not checking my spelling, forgive me.
-Trevor