Re: rain protection

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon May 11 1998 - 08:09:37 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:09:37 -0400
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: rain protection

>What happens when the rain falls on nepenthes ? The lid protects the fluid
>from it.
My Nepenthes are subjected to nearly daily rains in Aug and Sept. The pitchers do
fill up with water sometimes, as the lids are not very effective protection. I've
had hanging pitchers damaged by the weight of water filled to the rim.

>So what about N. inermis, ampullaria and so many others ?
I cannot comment on N. inermis, but N. ampullaria seems to collect rainwater. I
have never seen them in the "wild", but from what I have observed in
cultivation, they like having full pitchers. The same could be said for N.
hookeriana lower pitchers. In fact, if the pitcher should dry out, they age
rapidly.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Fl