Re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

From: Wim Leys (Wim.Leys@vlm.be)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 03:02:02 PDT

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 12:02:02 +0200
From: Wim Leys <Wim.Leys@vlm.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

> Can you also do this with Drosera and VFT? I live in Michigan and have
> always moved the entire bog collection into a heated garage (around 30
> degree F in winter). I'm tired of moving everything. Does this mean
> I don't have to anymore?
>
> Dan Dembicki

I have VFT growing year round in my outdoor bog. The plants have
flowered and are even reproducing, be it very slowly. I think the
biggest problem is the bad location of the bog (too much shade from the
house). They have survived a severe winter during which temperatures of
-10 - -16 C (14 - 3 F) were common during about a month.

D. intermedia and D. rotundifolia have invaded the bog and growing about
everywhere.

Make sure to protect your plants from wind. As was mentioned before on
this list, freeze drying causes more frost resistant CP (Sarracenia,
VFT, Darlingtonia, Drosera) loss than low temperatures.

I have not yet experimented with S. psittacina to keep it outside during
winter. Is it as frost resistant as other Sarracenia's ?

Is there a gradation about frost tolerance among Sarracenia's ? I found
S. purpurea purpurea, S. purpurea venosa and S. flava and their hybrids
to be very frost tolerant. How about the other species ?

Kind regards
Wim