Re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 06:36:00 PDT

Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 09:36:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

>I was wondering if somebody ever tried to make a very hardy Sarracenia
with
>upright pitchers, which would be suitable for outside cultivation in
>W-Europe.

I guess now is a good time to tell people how a couple of Sarr seedling
fared over the winter living in live sphagnum moss in a 2 inch high
plastic container (the kind used to put under pots to collect water.).

The plastic containers were kept on a glass tabletop on an exposed deck.
Both seedlings survived Atlanta's winter. I think the coldest
temperature we got this year was around 15 F (and with the all the
emails about converting that to C, I won't bother with doing it for
you.). Certainly the roots froze and the rhizome probably produced more
when warm weather returned and is sending up pitchers this very moment.
I'm guessing that Atlanta had about 20 days (if not more) of nights that
went below freezing.

The daffodil bulbs just barely covered with soil that remained unplanted
on a concrete driveway also survived the winter and flowered months ago.

Nature is pretty tough.

David