re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

From: Martin.Zevenbergen@ALGEM.PT.WAU.NL
Date: Thu May 07 1998 - 08:01:47 PDT

Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 13:01:47 -0200
From: Martin.Zevenbergen@ALGEM.PT.WAU.NL
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

Dear Andrew and others,

As I understand from other people on the list, most species are hardier than
thought in general, so this may be less of a problem than I thought it to be.
Nevertheless, I would be very interested in hybrids with S. rubra
jonesii/oreophila/flava, because I think this would gain some nice plants,
especially if the pitchers are strong enough to withstand wind and rain.
It's a pity that you're not able to trade yet, but if you ever gain a nice
clone of which you are able to grow some more material, I would be very
interested (I think I will not be the only one!).
It would be also a nice idea if you ever come across a superb clone, to name
it as a cultivar and sell it to a large commercial grower (like we have here
in The Netherlands). In this way, a cultivar can spread around the world very
fast.
In my country I don't know of any grower who raises his own hybrids and grows
them outside. I could check this large commercial growers, but they only grow
their material in greenhouses.

Best regards,

Martin Zevenbergen