tap water on CPs

From: Zachary Kaufman (zkaufman@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 04 1998 - 22:07:10 PDT

Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 22:07:10 PDT
From: "Zachary Kaufman" <zkaufman@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: tap water on CPs

Brian wrote:
>Hello list...I've been using tap water for many years on all sp. of
>c.p. The only catch is to let the water stand uncovered for 24 hrs.
>to allow the
>chlorine to dissapate..no ill effects at all...........Bri :)

If you are lucky and live in an area where your tap water is low
in disolved salts, then follow Brian's advice. If you don't,
beware, the minerals in the water cause peat and sphagnum to
decompose--get ready for transplanting often and/or root rot if
you use it. As for letting the chlorine evaporate, some/many?
municipalities [mine for example] no longer use chlorine. The
chloromine (sp?) used in its place does not evaporate out. If
you have an aquarium, you have to chemically treat the tap water
before exposing the fish to it. I don't know what effects it has
on plants. I've been using an R.O. unit on our tap water for
1.5 years. Assuming the chloromine is coming through, it doesn't
appear to have done any harm. As for humans, I've been drinking the
stuff for probably around 12 years, and so far I haven't grown a
third arm.

--Zachary--