Re: Chit chat and updates

From: CALIFCARN (CALIFCARN@aol.com)
Date: Fri May 01 1998 - 12:42:38 PDT

Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 15:42:38 EDT
From: CALIFCARN <CALIFCARN@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Chit chat and updates

Howdy; Peter here at California Carnivores. We've been very busy at the
nursery so I'm trying to catch up on e-mail stuff.
     Thanks, Paul B., for recommending us as a visiting place when folks visit
California. Our website has a map for those folks who want to visit
(californiacarnivores.com). Many people don't know where we are since
California is so large. We're about an hour north of San Francisco (without
traffic!), on the Russian River, in Sonoma County, just outside of Santa Rosa.
We're five miles off the freeway. We are open every day 10 am to 4 pm,
except during floods and earthquakes.
       Well Martha Stewart's people were a no-show! How rude! I think they
were in town for the SF Garden Show and were checking out places to scout.
The magazine piece in April they did has brought a tremendous response.
Martha comes to Sonoma County alot, so maybe next time.... At least we
got a lot done cleaning up a few sore spots- the nursery and displays are
looking quite nice. And thanks to all those who emailed us privately on what
kind of snacks to serve!
       BOOK UPDATE: We received an advance copy of The Savage Garden last
week and it looks pretty good. Ten Speed Press says the first edition
arrives on a slow boat from China on May 19, so shortly thereafter all those
who have ordered copies should be getting them. We appreciate everyone's
patience.
       The California Acadamy of Science's magazine, California Wild! , will
be highlighting the book in their summer issue. It's a photo essay using
about a dozen or so photos from the book taken by that famous Australian
adventure photographer, Jonathan Chester, who took about 80 photos for the
book. The magazine is putting on their cover a great shot of Nepenthes
spectabilis, glabrata and ventricosa. I wrote a short piece adapted from the
book about carnivory and subcarnivory in plants. It was unusual, since the
book is a horticultural book, and not a biology book, but apparently the
Acadamy was so taken with the advance copy they received, they're doing the
cover story. I guess that's a good sign.
     Also, the book is mentioned in San Francisco Focus magazine this month ,
but unfortunately the beautiful photo by Sharon Bergeron of N. rafflesiana
"Giant" was sideways! Sharon took many pics for The Savage Garden, and it's
her fabulous photo that is on the cover of the book.
    Th-th-th-th-that's all folks! Peter